This area contains information about the various Member Group committee roles, and has a separate page for each role containing more information and guidance relating to that role. These pages also provide an opportunity for discussion and sharing of ideas and good practices among the Role Communities. (Pages under construction)
Some committee roles are mandatory - every member group must have a Chair and a Treasurer, and at least 3 other committee members. Other roles are optional.
Any committee member may have one or more roles, or may have a general committee role. The recommended and optional roles defined below are for guidance, and the specific responsibilities may be allocated between roles and combined in a way to suit the specific Member Group.
Authorised Signatories Form - Must be completed if any of Chair, Treasurer or Secretary changes person. This can then be sent to your Member Groups co-ordinator.
Must be a professional member of BCS (MBCS/FBCS).
- Responsible for the supervision of all matters concerning the effective leadership of the Member Group.
- Chairs all general (AGMs and EGMs) and committee meetings.
- Prepares the Chair’s Report for each AGM.
- Ensures the formulation of strategies for the committee and implements appropriate actions to achieve the strategic goals.
- Must be a professional member of BCS (MBCS/FBCS).
- Prepares annual budget and potential project funding each year.
- Responsible to the Member Group committee for the group funds and any other appropriate financial business.
- Reports at fixed intervals to Member Group Committee.
- Submits income and expenditure statements produced by BCS Finance for the AGM
- Deals with payments and receipts to and from Operational Budget and liaises with BCS where necessary.
- Notifies, through Member Groups Team (firstname.lastname@example.org), any forecast overspend together with (a) circumstances leading to this position and (b) proposed action plan to resolve the situation
- Helps run group generally.
- Deputises for other officers as required.
- Particularly required for helping to establish the season’s programme.
- Gives due notice of all general meetings (AGMs and EGMs) to all group members.
- Gives due notice of committee vacancies to all group members.
- Arranges suitable locations for committee meetings.
- Prepares and issues agenda for all general meetings and committee meetings.
- Records the minutes of all general meetings and committee meetings and issues copies to BCS Member Groups Team.
- Must send an electronic copy of each set of approved minutes to the Member Groups Team (email@example.com).
- Handles correspondence between Member Groups Team and the Member Group.
- Maintains a Member Group committee address / contact list, ensuring that updates are notified to Member Groups Team.
Secretary Templates (zip)
Must be a professional member of BCS (MBCS/FBCS).
- Welcomes new members and distributes information on forthcoming events and other introductory information.
- Encourages individuals who have enquired about membership to join, and provides them with information about the Member Group and forthcoming events.
- Co-ordinates the recruitment of IT professionals at member group events and through other methods.
- Records events attendance and writes up reports.
- Retains event attendance sheets (sends a copy to Member Groups Team) and co-ordinates a list of non-member attendees.
- Uses member data provided on the group committee secure area.
- Maintains a 'database' of these key contacts to facilitate the distribution of publicity material and other information.
- Must comply with BCS Data Protection Guidelines
- Acts as a focal point to distribute emails to Member Group members (e.g. notifying them of forthcoming events) using the BCS List Server facility.
- Can be asked to send emails to own group members by other groups.
- Distributes information regularly to an established network of contacts.
- Creates and maintains the group website, liaising with BCS Web Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) over the various methods.
- Either posts content to the website or provides access to committee members to post their own content.
- The webmaster may also facilitate the use of other online channels for publicising events - such as social media, discussion forums - or the Member Group may have a separate 'Social Media Officer' to do this.
- Ensures maximum coverage of group events, both before and after they occur.
- Writes copy for media on branch activities.
- Ensures all Group events are included in the BCS Diary.
- Liaises with local press and radio.
- Organises mail shots, programme cards, posters, etc.
- Liaises between the group Committee and the YPG Executive Committee, as well as representing the views of the young professionals within the group.
- Arranges and publicises YPG events, provides details of special offers and YPG Projects.
- Creates local Student chapters, within local universities.
- Attends YPG Congress on behalf of the group Committee.
- Liaises with other Group YPG Representatives
Event Co-ordinator / Programme Card Co-ordinator
- Puts the season's event programme together, if applicable
- Makes administrative and logistical arrangements for the events, including venue, catering etc, using the BCS Event Booking System (mandatory if held at BCS London)
- Corresponds with universities, colleges and/or schools.
- Organises suitable events to represent the BCS in local schools/colleges, such as careers evenings or attends those organised by local schools and Careers Offices.
- Acts as a focus for local initiatives and actions where the use of IT is to the benefit of disabled people.
- Identifies and organises events to increase the awareness and understanding of the IT industry towards the needs of the disabled.
- Liaises with local companies and any local representative bodies such as the Chamber of Commerce.
- Liaises with local public sector bodies and other organisations such as charities as appropriate.
- The purpose of the liaison is to promote the BCS and professionalism in IT, particularly as it relates to the local context and the branch.
- Responsibility may include promoting branch activities and encouraging suggestions for events; facilitating BCS membership enquiries and assisting with awareness of BCS products and services.
- Engages with members, potential members and other organizations and Groups using social media.
- Uses social media to advertise events.